There are MANY variables that come into play when pricing a tattoo.
* DESIGN TIME
* SESSION TIME
These are just to name a few. Here at Acala Tattoo, we prefer to price per piece with smaller tattoos, but with more intricate pieces we charge an hourly rate. Call or stop by for a quote. We encourage and prefer face-to-face consultations.
1. As of November 2019, we now request that you fill out our new DESIGN INTAKE SHEET, which describes the tattoo you'd like, placement, your availability, and the Artist requested. Policies are different depending on the Artist, and are listed on the sheet. Feel free to to fill one out at our shop, take one home, or download one here at the bottom of this page. We have also tried to simplify this method by including a similar digital form on this website's HOME Page. Once you submit your sheet, along with all necessary reference photos, it will be reviewed for consideration and you will be contacted within a week with further information.
Keep in mind that the shop's owner, Marcus is looking to focus on specific styles and subjects at this time. By all means, still submit a form even if your request doesn't fit this list, as we are not limiting any subjects or styles. The following subjects include...
JAPANESE & ASIAN / KUSTOM KULTURE (hot rod) / CARTOONS & COMICS / BLACK & GREY REALISM / LARGE SCALE & SLEEVES
2. After your Design Intake Sheet is reviewed, you may receive a FREE consultation with the Artist best suited for your tattoo. If all goes well during your consultation, all thats needed then is a monetary deposit to book your tattoo appointments. The deposit price varies for each artist, and is non-refundable, yet necessary in case you have to cancel your appointment, or change your mind. This covers our time spent creating the design and secures your spot. However, as long as you follow through with your appointments, the money is put towards the final balance for your tattoo, on your final session.
**Cancelations and Re-Schedules must occur 48 hrs or earlier BEFORE your appointment date and time, to not lose your deposit. Also, last minute cancelations and/or "No-Shows" for additional sessions are subject to an additional $100 fee. Anyone that is a "No-Show" twice in a row for a tattoo or consultation will be rejected as a client of this shop**
(note that we have waived this highlighted policy during the COVID-19 Pandemic, but only for matters of illness, not irresponsible behavior)
3. Depending on your design, the tattoo may be created over one or multiple sessions. Your appointment will be firmly scheduled after your deposit is placed.
This is a subjective question and varies from person to person. Everyone has different pain tolerances and some locations that feel torturous on one person, may incline another person to fall asleep or giggle. That being said, the common locations that tend to be more sensitive than others are the top of the foot, the ribs, the face and head, armpits, and the abdomen. Anywhere that nerves tend to converge will be of particular discomfort. Therefore, unless you're looking for a meditation challenge, it is also suggested that you stay away from nipples, genitalia, and the bottom of the feet, along with the inside of the hands.
Hand and foot tattoos, while they look so cool when fresh, will certainly have heavy shedding during the healing process and also wear off at a much faster rate than other locations of the body. More so nearer to and on the fingers and toes. This is due to the constant use of them. So between daily wear and tear, friction, scrubbing, and more frequent cellular regeneration, don't expect the tattoo to last very long. Acala Tattoo is NOT responsible for the future condition of your tattoo if you insist on a location that is advised against. A separate form will be required to fill out, and you will have to pay for any touch-ups or re-dos.
Please keep in mind that how you take care of your body before and after your session, will dictate your tattooing and healing experience. We advise the following to better your overall experience.
1. Get plenty of rest before your session. A good nights sleep does more than you realize. It is often observed that getting a tattoo hurts more when you are fatigued.
2. Be plenty hydrated. Drink a lot of water within 24 hours of your tattoo session. Not only does this keep your insides working properly, but also makes your skin prepared to take ink and heal better.
3. Do your absolute best to keep your tattoo clean for the immediate 24 hours after your session. The last thing you'll want is an infection. Remember, tattooing creates an intentional and precise WOUND on your body that the ink is placed into. We BEG you to PLEASE avoid gyms and workouts within the first 24 hours of getting a fresh tattoo. You're almost guaranteed to get a bad infection.
4. Try not to binge drink alcohol or eat horrible food.
Aftercare instructions will be made available to you after your first session is completed. However, if you happen to lose them, you may download a digital copy at the bottom of this page., Please don't hesitate to contact us with any concerns. It is VERY important that you not only follow the suggested After Care, but also maintain proper health, sleep, and nutrition while your tattoo heals.
Sometimes, depending on your personal healing process, some color may "fall out" in tiny areas. It happens, don't panic. This is different from the normal shedding of the epidermis, and we are more than happy to fix it for you. Any necessary touch-ups immediately after your final healing (within one month) are "on the house", no charge. We pride ourselves in giving you the best tattoo possible, within reasonable practices from both parties. However, we will not "freshen you up" every few months just to keep that bright, new look. That costs extra, and is unnecessary since we use very high-quality inks. Negligent aftercare also falls on your responsibility, and will not be fixed for free.
While this was common practice in the not-so-distant past, back in 2008 New York State made it illegal for anyone under the age of 18 years to get a tattoo, even with parental consent. It is classified as a Class B Misdemeanor (NYS Penal Law 260.21 Unlawfully Dealing With A Child in the Second Degree). While some shady tattoo shops and "home artists" don't care, we do care here at Acala, and politely refuse to put you, your child, or ourselves in an illegal situation. We understand the motivation and fashion for young people to get inked up. But believe us when we say that it is best for them to wait until they're at least 18 years old, for many reasons. If anything, it should give them plenty of time to REALLY make sure of what they want on their body for the rest of their lives. Don't be impatient, and certainly don't settle for just any artist or design. We are more than happy to get them started on this beautiful and expressive art form, once they are of age, and provide them with a good experience.
Also, please do not bring small children into our shop while getting your tattoo done. It is distracting for all, and we must maintain a clean and relaxed environment here. Be advised that it is a very adult atmosphere. Keeping your entourage to a minimum of 1-2 people is appreciated as well. (Please see our new COVID-19 Guidelines in regards to this).
Uuuhhhhh, NO. There are many brands of inks on the market and VERY FEW that we actually trust. Those "fad tattoos" that use the "black light inks" are not safe at all to use. They are unregulated from China, and industry sources report that cleaning detergents are used in them, and are therefore, unsafe for the human body.
**UPDATE** December 2018 - It appears that Mom's Inks has made safe Glow / Neon / Black Light products. However, reviews have shown that the effect doesn't last more than a few weeks. Therefore, we will still not be doing these kinds of tattoos.
Here at Acala Tattoo, we are proud users of StarBrite Colors TM. They are manufactured here in the USA in Somers, Connecticut, in a sterile manufacturing environment. Their colors are bright, bold, and last a long time. We know Tommy, the owner and manufacturer, and trust his product. StarBrite Colors go in, stay in!
With social media being what it is, we understand the convenience of communicating with us on whatever platform you happen to be on at the time. After all, we have to show our works and advertise over many interfaces. However, there are so many avenues that it becomes both confusing and overwhelming to keep up on everything. Unfortunately, some inquiries have gotten lost in the shuffle here and there, so we wish to streamline the methods of communication. Therefore, we will only be accepting bookings, questions, and reference photos in the two following ways...
Marcus’ personal clients may also continue to call and text him at his number: 315-402-3160
(between 10am-10pm). The personal clients of our other Artists may discuss with them, the best method of communication.
We will NOT accept booking inquiries from Comments or DM platforms on Facebook, Messenger, Pages, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat, or any other social apps. We love hearing from you, and want to make it easier for everyone in simplifying our methods of communication. But by all means, please continue to show your love by Liking and Commenting on our posts across all of the apps we participate on. We sincerely appreciate your support and sharing our interest in Art with everyone!
WALK-INS & POP-INS
Since it’s founding, Acala Tattoo & Design has been, and currently remains, an “Appointment Only” shop. While we do plan on accepting Walk-Ins after the COVID-19 Pandemic subsides, we can not accommodate them at this time. This also goes for the famous "Social Pop-In” by friends and acquaintances. We run a very tight and booked schedule, with every minute of our days accounted for. Sometimes we only get a few minutes to eat, clean up, and prepare for our next client. But usually, we’re in the middle of work. What seems like a friendly visit or convenient inquiry, can throw off the rest of our day. We’d prefer to reserve such necessary moments for our immediate families and significant others, when warranted.
NON-TATTOO COMMISSION WORK
Minus the occasional mural or passion project, Marcus will NOT be taking on any more commissions or accounts outside of tattooing. That goes for graphic design, advertising, logos, motorcycle and hotrod custom paint, portraits, etc. He is instead choosing to use his limited secondary time to focus on the needs of the business and creating more original tattoo designs, along with personal Art for sale.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to familiarize yourself with our policies. As our business grows and evolves, so must the manner in which we have to conduct business. We can not express our gratitude enough for those that have supported us both as clients and fans. Our hope is to make everyone’s experience better with these policies, into the future.